MSc. of Public Administration, Vali-e-Asr University
Associate professor of Management department, Vali-e-Asr university
Document Type : Research Article (with quantitative approaches)
The purpose of this case study was exploring the antecedents of workplace ostracism and their hierarchical relations in the frame of interpretive structural modeling (ISM) in a public organization. In this regard, after reviewing literature and identifying antecedents of the phenomenon of interest, based on the Likert scale a half-closed questionnaire was developed and through concept sampling distributed among 19 members of organization whom they had living experiences about workplace ostracism. Using fuzzy analysis, the questionnaires statements were screened and after categorizing, the ISM measure were developed and distributed among participants. Based on findings, the model was possessed of 8 factors in 5 levels (the first level: lack of extra-organizational system to monitor and audit managers; the second: dysfunctional properties of organization management; the third: the discrete but coherent-look organizational culture and weakness of inter organization managerial systems; the fourth: features of ostracism target, the dark climate of organization, and breakdown between both sides of ostracism; and the fifth: mistreatment against the target of ostracism).
- Agarwal, A., Shankar, R., & Tiwari, M.K. (2007). Modeling agility of supply chain. Industrial Marketing Management Journal, 36(4), 443-57.
- Ahmed, I., Wan Khairuzzaman, W.I., Mohamad Amin, S., & Musarrat Nawaz, M. (2013). A social exchange perspective of the individual guanxi network: Evidence from Malaysian-Chinese employees. Chinese Management Studies, 7(1), 127-40.
- Arshadi, N., Zare, R., & Piryaei, S. (2012). The Relationship between leader-member exchange and workplace deviance with the mediating role of workplace exclusion. International Journal of Psychology, 6(1), 78-98.
- Bojadziev, G., & Bojadziev, M. (2007). Fuzzy logic for business, finance, and management, Vol. 23, Singapure: World Scientific Publishing.
- Costa, P.T., & McCrae, R.R. (1987). Neuroticism, somatic complaints, and disease: Is the bark worse than the bite?. Journal of personality, 55(2), 299-316.
- Cortina, L.M., Magley, V.J., Williams, J.H., & Langhout, R.D. (2001). Incivility in the workplace: Incidence and impact. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 6(1), 64-80.
- Creswell, J.W. (2012). Educational research: Planning, conducting and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research. Massachusetts: Pearson Education.
- Dolfsma, W., & Eijk, R. (2016). Distances in organizations: Innovation in an R & D lab. British Journal of Management, 27(2), 271-86.
- Downey, G., & Feldman, S.I. (1996). Implications of rejection sensitivity for intimate relationships. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 70(6), 1327-43.
- Eisenhardt, K. M. (1989). Building theories from case study research. Academy of Management Review, 14(4), 532-50.
- Erkutlu, H., & Chafra, J. (2016). Impact of behavioral integrity on workplace ostracism: The moderating roles of narcissistic personality and psychological distance. Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education, 8(2), 222-37.
- Faisal, M.N. (2010). Analysing the barriers to corporate social responsibility in supply chains: An interpretive structural modelling approach. International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications: A Leading Journal of Supply Chain Management, 13, 179-95.
- Ferris, D.L., Brown, D. J., Berry, J.W., & Lian, H. (2008). The development and validation of the Workplace Ostracism Scale. Journal of Applied Psychology, 93(6), 1348-66.
- Fiset, J. (2014). The good shepherd: The impact of relational leadership interventionary behaviour on workplace ostracism. Doctoral dissertation, Concordia University.
- Fox, S., & Stallworth, L.E. (2005). Racial/ethnic bullying: Exploring links between bullying and racism in the US workplace. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 66(3), 438-56.
- Gill, M.J., Sypher, B.D. (2009). Workplace incivility and organizational trust, In: P. Lutgen-Sandvik, & B.D. Sypher (Eds), Destructive organizational communication: Processes, consequences, and constructive ways of organizing. New York, Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group, 53-73..
- Goldberg, L.R. (1990). An alternative description of personality: Tthe big-five factor structure. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 59(6), 1216-29.
- Golden, T.D., Veiga, J.F., Dino, R.N. (2008). The impact of professional isolation on teleworker job performance and turnover intentions: Does time spent teleworking, interacting face-to-face, or having access to communication-enhancing technology matter?. Journal of Applied Psychology, 93(6), 1412-21.
- Graziano, W.G., Habashi, M.M., Sheese, B.E., & Tobin, R.M. (2007). Agreeableness, empathy, and helping: a personÃ situation perspective. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 93(4), 583-99.
- Greenwood, R., & Hinings, C.R. (1996). Understanding radical organizational change: Bringing together the old and the new institutionalism. Academy of Management Review, 21(4), 1022-51.
- Guzzo, R.A., & Shea, G.P. (1992). Group performance and intergroup relations in organizations. In: M.D. Dunnette, & L.M. Hough (Eds), Handbook of industrial and organizational psychology. CA: Psychological Press, Palo Alto, 269-313.
- Habibi, A., Jahantigh, F.F., & Sarafrazi, A. (2015). Fuzzy delphi technique for forecasting and screening items. Asian Journal of Research in Business Economics and Management, 5(2), 130-43.
- Haidt, J. (2007). The new synthesis in moral psychology. Science, 316(5827), 998-1002.
- Haidt, J. (2008). Morality. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 3(1), 65-72.
- Hales, A.H., Kassner, M.P., Williams, K.D., & Graziano, W.G. (2016). Disagreeableness as a cause and consequence of ostracism. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 42(6), 782-97.
- Hobfoll, S.E. (1989). Conservation of resources: A new attempt at conceptualizing stress. American Psychologist, 44(3), 513-24.
- Huang, J.J., Tzeng, G.H., & Ong, C.S. (2005). Multidimensional data in multidimensional scaling using the analytic network process. Pattern Recognition Letters, 26(6), 755-67.
- Jackson, M.F., Barth, J.M., Powell, N., & Lochman, J.E. (2006). Classroom contextual effects of race on children's peer nominations. Child Development, 77(5), 1325-37.
- Kramer, R.M. (1999). Trust and distrust in organizations: Emerging perspectives, enduring questions. Annual Review of Psychology, 50(1), 569-98.
- Kurzban, R., & Leary, M.R. (2001). Evolutionary origins of stigmatization: The functions of social exclusion. Psychological Bulletin, 127(2), 187-208.
- Latane, B., & Nida, S. (1981). Ten years of research on group size and helping. Psychological Bulletin, 89(2), 308-24.
- Leung, A.S., Wu, L.Z., Chen, Y.Y., & Young, M.N. (2011). The impact of workplace ostracism in service organizations. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 30(4), 836-44.
- Liden, R.C., Sparrowe, R.T., & Wayne, S. J. (1997). Leaderâmember exchange theory: The past and potential for the future. In: G.R. Ferris (Ed.), Research in Personnel and Human Resource Management, CT: JAI Press, Greenwich, 47-120.
- Mandal, A., & Deshmukh, S.G. (1994). Vendor selection using interpretive structural modelling (ISM). International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 14(6), 52-9.
- Maslyn, J.M., & Uhl-Bien, M. (2001). Leaderâmember exchange and its dimensions: Effects of self-effort and other's effort on relationship quality. Journal of applied psychology, 86(4), 697-708.
- Mor, N., & Inbar, M. (2009). Rejection sensitivity and schema-congruent information processing biases. Journal of Research in Personality, 43(3), 392-98.
- Napier, B.J., & Ferris, G.R. (1993). Distance in organizations. Human Resource Management Review, 3(4), 321-57.
- O'Connor, P. (2014). Management and gender in higher education. Manchester: Oxford University Press.
- OâReilly J., & Robinson S.L. (2009). The negative impact of ostracism on thwarted belongingness and workplace contributions. Academy of Management Annual Meeting Proceedings, 1, 1-7.
- O'Reilly, J., Robinson, S.L., Berdahl, J.L., & Banki, S. (2014). Is negative attention better than no attention? The comparative effects of ostracism and harassment at work. Organization Science, 26(3), 774-93.
- Pickett, C.L., & Brewer, M.B. (2005). The role of exclusion in maintaining ingroup inclusion. In: D. Abrams, M.A. Hogg, & J.M. Marques (Eds.). The social psychology of inclusion and exclusion. Psychology Press, New York, 89-112.
- Quade, M.J., Greenbaum, R.L., & Petrenko, O.V. (2017). I don't want to be near you, unlessâ¦: The interactive effect of unethical behavior and performance onto relationship conflict and workplace ostracism. Personnel Psychology, 70(3), 675-709.â
- Ravi, V., & Shankar, R. (2005). Analysis of interactions among the barriers of reverse logistics. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 72(8), 1011-29.
- Riva, P., Wirth, J.H., & Williams, K.D. (2011). The consequences of pain: The social and physical pain overlap on psychological responses. European Journal of Social Psychology, 41(6), 681-87.
- Robinson, S.L., OâReilly, J., & Wang, W. (2013). Invisible at work: An integrated model of workplace ostracism. Journal of Management, 39(1), 203-31.
- Scott, K.L., Restubog, S.L.D., & Zagenczyk, T.J. (2013). A social exchange-based model of the antecedents of workplace exclusion. Journal of Applied Psychology, 98(1), 37-48.
- Schein, E. (1984). Coming to a new awareness of organizational culture. Sloan Management Review, 25, 3-16.
- Settles, I.H., & OâConnor, R.C. (2014). Incivility at academic conferences: Gender differences and the mediating role of climate. Sex Roles, 71(1-2), 71-82.
- Simons, T., Friedman, R., Liu, L.A. & McLean Parks, J. (2007). Racial differences in sensitivity to behavioral integrity: Attitudinal consequences, in-group effects, and trickle down among Black and non-Black employees. Journal of Applied Psychology, 92(3), 650-65.
- Skitka, L.J., Bauman, C.W., & Sargis, E.G. (2005). Moral conviction: Another contributor to attitude strength or something more?. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 88(6), 895-917.
- Spector, P.E., & Jex, S.M. (1998). Development of four self-report measures of job stressors and strain: Interpersonal conflict at work scale, organizational constraints scale, quantitative workload inventory, and physical symptoms inventory. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 3 (4), 356-67.
- Sommer, K.L., & Yoon, J. (2013). When silence is golden: Ostracism as resource conservation during aversive interactions. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 30(7), 901-19.
- Tobin, R.M., Graziano, W.G., Vanman, E.J., & Tassinary, L.G. (2000). Personality, emotional experience, and efforts to control emotions. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 79(4), 656-69.
- Wang, H.Y., & Liu, Y.F. (2013). A review of frontier research on workplace ostracism and future prospects. Foreign Economics and Management, 35, 31-9.
- Warfield, J.N. (1974). Developing interconnection matrices in structural modeling. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 4(1), 51-81.
- Wesselmann, E.D., Wirth, J.H., Pryor, J.B., Reeder, G.D., & Williams, K.D. (2012). When do we ostracize?. Social Psychology and Personality Science, 27, 1156-63.
- Williams, K.D. (1997). Social ostracism. In: R.M. Kowalski (Ed.), Aversive interpersonal behaviors. New York: Plenum Press, 133-170.
- Williams, K.D. (2001), Ostracism: The power of silence, New York: Guilford Press.
- Williams, K.D. (2007). Ostracism. Annual Review of Psychology, 58, 425â52.
- Williams, K.D. (2009). Ostracism: A temporal needâthreat model. Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, 41, 275-314.
- Wu, L., Wei, L., & Hui, C. (2011). Dispositional antecedents and consequences of workplace ostracism: An empirical examination. Frontiers of Business Research in China, 5(1), 23-44.
- Zhang, X., & Dai, L. (2015). The relationship between neuroticism and experience of workplace ostracism in new employees. Open Journal of Social Sciences, 3, 80-7.
- Zimmerman, C.A., Carter-Sowell, A.R., & Xu, X. (2016). Examining workplace ostracism experiences in academia: understanding how differences in the faculty ranks influence inclusive climates on campus. Frontiers in Psychology, 7, 1-9.
- Zuckerman, M., Miserandino, M., & Bernieri, F. (1983). Civil inattention exists-in elevators. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 9(4), 578-86.