Ph.D. Student in Human Resource Management, Department of Public Administration, Faculty of Management and Economics, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
Visiting Professor, Department of Public Administration, Faculty of Management and Economics, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran and Professor, Department of Strategic Management, Faculty of Management and Command, Amin Police University, Tehran, Iran.
Visiting Professor, Department of Public Administration, Faculty of Management and Economics, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran and Professor, Department of Educational Management, Faculty of Management, Kharazmi University, Tehran, Iran.
Document Type : Research Article (with mixed approaches)
Purpose: The aim of this study is to Design a model of coaching organization with a human capital development approach for universities.
Design/ methodology/ approach: The present research is among the mixed researches in the deductive-inductive and qualitative-quantitative paradigm which is applied in terms of purpose. the statistical population in qualitative and quantitative section of this research includes specialists and experts in the field of coaching including professors and administrators of universities. The sample was selected through targeted method and snowball technique. The data collection tool is in the qualitative part of the interview and in the quantitative part of the questionnaire. In the qualitative part, the data were analyzed using Atlas.ti software and quantitative data were analyzed by interpretive structural modeling method.
Research Findings: In this research, the model was developed at four levels and twelve main components including: environmental changes and transformations, the need for human capital development and organizational development, coach personality traits, coach knowledge and skills, coachee personality traits, coachee specific attitudes, management and leadership strategies, organizational structure, organizational culture, Infrastructure and technology, individual benefits and organizational benefits.
Limitations & Consequences: The dimensions and components of coaching organization with a human capital development approach, has been overlooked by many researchers. Therefore, this research has moved in direction of this research gap.
Practical Consequences: the establishment of coaching organization empowers managers and employees, which in turn provides the readiness and flexibility of personnel to facilitate positive organizational changes.
Innovation or value of the Article: The present study considered one of the less attention topics related to the establishment of coaching organization in universities and provided a model for it.
Paper Type: Research Paper
- Ali, M., Raza, B., Ali, W. & Imtiaz, N. (2020). "Linking managerial coaching with employees’ innovative work behaviors through affective supervisory commitment: Evidence from Pakistan". International Review of Management and Marketing, 10(4), 11-16.
- Alwani, M . & Khodami, A.S. (2017). "Coaching is an effective approach in human resource management". Tehran: University Jahad Publications. (in Persian)
- A. & Dopsonb.S. (2018). "A systematic review of executive coaching outcomes: Is it the journey or the destination that matters the most?." The Leadership Quarterly, 29(1), 70–88.
- Bozer, G. & Joo, B. (2016). "The effects of coachee characteristics and coaching relationships on self - awareness in executive coaching". International Leadership Journal, 7(3), 36–58.
- Budisusetio, D. H., Sule, E. T. & Febrian, E. (2019). "Human capital strategy model for improving business unit performance, based on environmental turbulence, strategic leadership and organizational culture (A survey on unit business Indonesian telecommunication operator)". Journal of Entrepreneurship Education, 22(4), 1-11.
- Callaghan, G. (2022). "Introducing a coaching culture within an academic faculty". International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring, 20(1), 83–92.
- Chatterjee, A., Pereira, A. & Bates, R. (2018). "Impact of individual perception of organizational culture on the learning transfer environment". International Journal of Training and Development, 22(1), 15-33.
- Chen, C., Hewitt, P.L., Flett, G.L. & Roxborough, H.M. (2019). "Multidimensional perfectionism and borderline personality organization in emerging adults: A two-wave longitudinal study". Personality and Individual Differences, 146, 143-148.
- Dastani, M., Hadi Paykani, M., Gholamzadeh, D. & Gholizadeh, A. (2020). "The application of the coaching culture model in the science and technology parks of Iran." Quarterly Journal of Organizational Culture Management, 18(2), 249-272. (in Persian)
- Dehghani Soltani, M. & Ramezani, S. (2021). "Investigating the role of organizational personality in improving safety performance". Improvement and Transformation Management Studies, 30 (99), 29-52. (in Persian)
- Doyle, N. E. & McDowall, A. (2018). "A narrative systematic review of coaching interventions to improve dyslexia at work". Bio Rxiv: PLPS ONE, 342-584.
- Essel, H.B., Vlachopoulos, D., Adom, D. & Tachie-Menson, A. (2021). "Transforming higher education in Ghana in times of disruption: Flexible learning in rural communities with high latency internet connectivity". Journal of Enterprising Communities: People Places Global Economy, 15(2), 296–312.
- Ghahramani Qajar, s., Mohammadi Moghadam, Y. & Joravi, B. (2016). "Investigating the role of human resource vitality in organizational decision-making (case study: scientific research centers)." Naja Human Resource Quarterly, 12 (50), 67-94.
- Golipour, M., Oladiyah, M. & Safari, M. (2021). "Provide a model of higher education system based on the process of developing human resources". Journal of Educational Management innovations. 4(16), 41-56.
- Guccione, K. & Hutchinson, S. (2021). "Coaching and Mentoring for Academic Development." Emerald Publishing, Bingley.
- Hakro, A.N. & Mathew, p. (2020). "Coaching and mentoring in higher education institutions: A case study in Oman". International Journal of Mentoring and Coaching in Education, 9(3), 307–322.
- Hassanpoor, A., Vakili, Y., Jaafari Nia, S. & Farhadi. (2021). "Barriers and challenges of managers coaching success in the petrochemical industry". Quarterly Journal of Training and Development of Human Resources, 8(30), 161-187.
- Hunt, J. M. & Weintraub, J. R. (2011). "The coaching manager development top talent in business". Newbury, SAGE Publications.
- Javadipoor, M., Safaie Movahed, S. & Barati, A. (2015). "Studying the effect of Coaching on Psychological Empowerment of First-Grade Teachers". Quarterly Journal of Training and Human Resources. 2(6), 1-23.
- Katelnikov, V. (2010). "Coaching organization, unlocking the full potential of our people, your organizational and our self". http://www.1000ventures.com/business_guide/im_coaching_org.html
- King, N. & Horrocks, C. (2010). "Interviews in qualitative research". London: Sage.
- Lyons, P. & Bandura, R. P. (2021). "Coaching to enhance learning and reinforce commitment". International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring, 19(2), 100-114.
- Mashhadi, F., & Qarunah, d. (2021). "Identifying the mechanisms and obstacles of coaching the use of coaching for the purpose of replacing managers (Case study: General Office of Khorasan Razavi Relief Committee)". Journal of Human Resources Education and Development, 8 (28), 168-193. (in Persian)
- Moghli, A., Ahmadi, A., Azar, A. & Khodami, A. (2013). "Identifying the effective factors on creating a coaching organization". management studies (improvement and transformation), 23(71), 185-161. (in Persian)
- Mohammadi Sadr, M., Siadat, W. & Hoveida, R. (2018). "Identifying and validating the components of coaching skills of faculty members of Isfahan university of medical sciences". Teaching Strategies in Medical Sciences, 11(1), 19-36. (in Persian)
- NamdarJoyami, E., Rowshan, S. A., Yaghoubi, N. M. & Yazdani, B. (2021). "Development pioneers the engagement of human capital derived government organizations from the Quran and Atrat based on content analysis". Public Administration Perspective, 12(2), 90-103. (in Persian)
- Pradana, M., Pérez-Luño, A. & Fuentes-Blasco, M. (2020). "Innovation as the key to gain performance from absorptive capacity and human capital". Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, 32(7), 822-834.
- Rosales-Rueda, M. (2018). "The impact of early life shocks on human capital formation: evidence from El Niño floods in Ecuador". Journal of health economics, 62(C), 13-44.
- Rosha, A. & Lace, N. (2018). "Relevance analysis of factors enhancing coaching interactions in organizations". Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Issues, 5(3), 480-492.
- Sarlak, M.A. (2012). "Emerging Figures of Organizations in the Twenty-First Century (Theories, Applications, and Challenges)", Volume 1. Tehran: Knowledge Reference Publishing. (in Persian)
- Skjerve, A. B., Karlstad, M., Storseth, F., Wero, L. & Groton, T. O. (2011). "Planning for resilient collaboration at a new petroleum installation, A case study of coaching approach". Safety Science Journal, 50(10),1952-1959.
- Soltani, E. (2017). "Coaching techniques and tools in leadership development". Tehran: Arkan Danesh. (in Persian)
- Tabarsa, Q., Sadeghi, A. & Talaie, S. (2016). "A survey of the factors of knowledge Management in the organization crisis management: A case study of Tehran municipality disaster management organization". Journal of Knowledge Retrieval and Semantic System. 3(7), 1-20. (in Persian)
- Tabarsa, Q., Dori, B., Quchani, F. & Ahmadizade, A. (2012). " The survey of the role of human capital in promoting organizational innovation considering the mediating role of knowledge creation". Public management perspective, 11, 73-89. (in Persian)
- Talebi Panbeh Choleh, Q. A., Zolfaghari, R. & Parsa Moin, K. (2021). "Evaluation of social responsibility components of islamic azad university of Mazandaran". Quarterly Journal of Medical Sciences Education and Development Center, 12(2), 521-531.
- Taylor, S.N., Passarelli, A.M. &Van Oosten, E.B. (2019). "Leadership coach effectiveness as fostering self-determined, sustained change". Leadership Quarterly, 30, 101-313.
- Vlachopoulos, D. (2021). "Organizational change management in higher education through the lens of executive coaches". Journal of Education sciences, 11(6), 1-15.