Shahid Beheshti University - Student
Scientific Board Member of Shahid Beheshti University
Document Type : Research Article (with quantitative approaches)
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to predict the behavior of employees of public and private banks of Iran in the case they think their authority and job control are threatened while having different perceptions of their supervisor's perceptions in a similar situation.
Design / Methodology / Approach: Applying sequential exploratory method, qualitative data collected through library research and narrative plus expert interviews. In the next step, gathered data was coded and qualitative model of research designed through qualitative analysis. Then, by designing and validating the experiments and applying mixed models, the research was carried out in the banking network of the country.
Findings: The results of this study indicate the effects follower positive perception of position and perception of leader perception have on his job control and authority. The mixed model obtained in this study is able to predict the behavioral tendency of employees in both state and private banks considering presence and absence of different perceptual states, random effects between individuals, status effect as well as position effects while follower believes leader's perception of situations might threaten his / her job control and authority.
Limitations and Consequences: Considering the fundamental role of organizational structure and culture in the results of experiments, it is suggested that in future studies, organizations with different structural and cultural peculiarities to be studied. Also, given that the time slice of this study is of a cross-sectional nature, it is anticipated that longitudinal studies bring new results. It is also important to note that this study did not examine the passive approach of individuals in the face of different situations, so it is suggested that future research also consider the reasons for adopting passive approaches from the perspective of passive psychology.
Article Value: This research is important from two aspects: from a fundamental point of view, the results of this research in the field of organizational behavior can provide a framework for future studies and from an applied perspective it can also help to predict employee behavior and awareness, while increasing leaders' ability to achieve desirable behavior from followers by means of contingent interventions.
- â¢ Astley W. Graham and Sachdeva Paramjit S (1984). Structural Sources of Intraorganizational Power: A Theoretical Synthesis. The Academy of Management Review. ISSN: 0363-7425. Jan 1984, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 104-113.
- â¢ Babakas, E., Yavas, U., & Ashill, N.J. (2009). The role of customer orientation as a moderator of the job demand- burnout-performance relationship: A surface-level trait perspective. Journal of Retailing, 85(4), 480-492.
- â¢ Carlla S. Smith, John Tisak, Susan E. Hahn and Robert A. Schemieder (1997). The measurement of job control. Journal of Organizational Behavior. ISSN: 1099-1379. VOL. 18, 225-237.
- â¢ Charles M. Judd,JacobWestfall, and David A. Kenny (2016). Experiments with More Than One Random Factor: Designs, Analytic Models, and Statistical Power. Annual Review of Psychology. eISSN: 1545-2085. January 2017. pp 601-625.
- â¢ Chiang, F.F.T., Britich, T.A., & Kwan, H.K. (2009). The moderating roles of job control and worklife balance practices on employee stress in the hotel and catering industry. International Journal of Hospitality Management. ISSN: 0278-4319. March 2010, 29(1): 25-32.
- â¢ Creswell John. W. Creswell David. J. (2017). Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approach. SAGE Publications.
- â¢ deJonge, J.D., Le Blanc, P.M., Peeters, M.C.W. & Noordam, H. (2008). Emotional job demands and the role of matching job resources: A crosssectional survey study among health care workers. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 45, 1460-1469.
- â¢ Dorien Vanhercke, Kaisa Kirves, Nele De Cuyper, Marijke Vebruggen, Hans De Witte (2015). Perceived employability and psychological functioning framed by gain and loss cycles. Career Development International. ISSN: 1362-0436. May 2015. 179-198.
- â¢ Estrella Diaz, David Martin-Consuegra, Agueda Esteban (2017). Sales agents versus internet: Understanding service sabotage based on the conservation of resources theory. Internet Research. ISSN: 1066-2243. 7 August 2017. 858-884.
- â¢ Fiske, S. T., & Taylor, S. E. (1991). Social cognition (2nd ed.). McGraw-Hill series in social psychology. New York, NY, England: Mcgraw-Hill Book Company.
- â¢ Francesco Montani, Veronique Dagenais-Desmarais, Gabriele Giorgi, Simon Gregoire (2016). A Conservation of Resources Perspective on Negative Affect and Innovative Work Behaviour: the Role of Affect Activation and Mindfulness. Journal of Business and Psychology. ISSN: 0889-3268. February 2018, Volume 33, Issue 1, pp 123â139.
- â¢ Hobfoll. Stevan E (1988). Stress, Culture, and Community. The Springer Series in Social Clinical Psychology. Publisher Springer US.
- â¢ Hobfoll. Stevan E, Dunahoo. Carla A, Monnier. Jeannine (1995). Conservation of Resources and Traumatic Stress. Springer Series on Stress and Coping. Publisher: Springer, Boston, MA.
- â¢ Hobfoll. Stevan E, Lilly. Ray S (1993). Resource conservation as a strategy for community psychology. Journal of Community Psychology. Online ISSN:1520-6629 April 1993. Volume21, Issue2, Pages 128-148.
- â¢ Hobfoll. Steven E, Halbesleben. Jonathon, Neveu. Jean-Pierre and Westman. Mina (2017) Conservation of Resources in the Organizational Context: The Reality of Resources and Their Consequences. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior. 2018. 5:10.1-10.26
- â¢ Jacob Westfall, David A. Kenny, Charles M. Judd (2014). Statistical Power and Optimal Design in Experiments in Which Samples of Participants Respond to Samples of Stimuli. Journal of Experimental Psychology General. ISSN: 1939-2222 August 2014. 2020â2045.
- â¢ Jeffrey R. Edwards, James W. Berry (2010), The Presence of Something or the Absence of Nothing: Increasing Theoretical Precision in Management Research. Organizational Research Methods. October 1, 2010. 668-689.
- â¢ Laura Madden, Deborah Kidder, Kimberly Eddleston, Barrie Litzky, Franz Kellermanns (2017). A conservation of resources study of standard and contingent employees. Personnel Review. ISSN: 0048-3486. 3 April 2017. 644-661.
- â¢ Martinusen, M., Richardsen, A.M. & Burke, R.J. (2007). Job demands, job resources, and burnout among police officers. Journal of Criminal Justice. ISSN: 0047-2352, February 2007, 35(3):239-249.
- â¢ Mauno, S., Kinnunen, U. & Ruokolainen, M. (2007). Job demands and resources as antecedents of work engagement: A longitudinal study. Journal of Vocational Behavior. ISSN: 0001-8791. February 2007, Volume 70, Issue 1, Pages 149-171.
- â¢ Rezaeian, Ali. (2014). Processes of Perception and Social Perception. SAMT.
- â¢ Robert A. Dahl (1957). The concept of power. Behavioral Science. ISSN:
- -1743. 17 January 2007 2(3):201-25.
- â¢ Robyn L. Brouer, Vickie C. Gallagher, Rebecca L. Badawy (2015). Ability to Manage Resources in the Impression Management Process: The Mediating Effects of Resources on Job Performance. Journal of Business and Psychology. ISSN: 0889-3268. December 2016, Volume 31, Issue 4, pp 515â531.
- â¢ Steffanie L. Wilk, Lisa M. Moynihan (2005). Display Rule âRegulatorsâ: The Relationship Between Supervisors and Worker Emotional Exhaustion. Journal of Applied Psychology. ISSN: 0021-9010, 2005, Vol. 90, No. 5, 917â927.
- â¢ Suzanne Zivnuska, K. Michele Kacmar, Merideth Ferguson, Dawn S. Carlson (2017). Mindfulness at work: resource accumulation, well-being, and attitudes. Career Development International. ISSN 1362-0436. Vol. 21.2016, 2, p. 106-124.
- â¢ Yu-Shan Chen, Stanley Y.J. Huang (2016). A conservation of resources view of personal engagement in the development of innovative behavior and work-family conflict. Journal of Organizational Change Management. ISSN: 0953-4814. 3 October 2