Management, Faculty of Economics, Lorestan University, Khorramabad, Iran
Document Type : Research Article
Purpose: Isolation of employees in organizations is one of the most important drivers of deviant behaviors and reduces employee participation and motivation and ultimately reduces individual and organizational performance. The main purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of anti-elitism on employee isolation with respect to the moderating role of bureaucratic culture in governmental organizations.
Design/ methodology/ approach: The present study is applied in terms of purpose and in terms of the nature, the descriptive-correlation method and in terms of data collection is also part of field research (survey). The statistical population of the present study includes the employees of governmental organizations in Ilam that 375 people were selected for the sample using simple random sampling method. The data collection tool in the present study is a standard questionnaire. Kim and Baker standard questionnaire (2021) was used to measure the anti-elite variable, OKA standard questionnaire (2018) was used to measure the staff isolation variable and Denison (1990) questionnaire was used to measure the bureaucratic culture variable. Visual PLS software was used to analyze the research data.
Research Findings: The results showed that anti-elitism has a significant effect on employee isolation due to the moderating role of bureaucratic culture in governmental organizations. Also the dimensions of anti-elite are; Targeted organizational rejection, job freezing and knowledge avoidance which have a significant effect on employee isolation due to the moderating role of bureaucratic culture in governmental organizations.
Limitations & Consequences: In this research, only the variable of bureaucratic culture has been considered as a moderating one, while there are other variables that play a moderating role in the impact of anti-elitism on employee isolation. Ignoring elites and anti-elitism in organizations causes the deliberate isolation of employees in them, and this is more evident in organizations dominated by bureaucratic culture.
Practical Consequences: In order to reduce the isolation of employees in governmental organizations, there should be a culture and atmosphere of support for elite people.
Innovation or value of the Article: In the research conducted in the country, the effect of anti-eliticism on the isolation of employees has not been investigated due to the moderating role of bureaucratic culture.
Paper Type: Research article
- Ali, Shwana Hassan; Sagsan, Mustafa. (2020). The Mediating role of Knowledge-Oriented Leadership Between Bureaucratic Culture and Knowledge Creation: The case of Public Universities in Northern Iraq, European Conference on Knowledge Management; Kidmore End, (Dec 2020). DOI: 34190/EKM. 20.066
- Alizadeh, F. Hadoinejad, M. (2018). Analyzing the process of anti-elitism in the organization based on the interpretative mapping scheme of the Foundation Data Theory, Organizational Resource Management Research Quarterly, 9(1), 165-183(in Persian).
- Ayşın, Paşamehmetoğlu,. Renata, F.Guzzo,. Priyanko, Guchait. (2022). Workplace ostracism: Impact on social capital, organizational trust, and service recovery performance. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 50, 119-126.
- Bastami, B. Hosseini, S.Z. (2018). Investigating the factors of motivation, motivation and effectiveness of the elites and their transformational role from the perspective of the Qur'an, Islamic University Culture Quarterly, 32, 380-363(in Persian).
- Bastami, Behzad; Hosseini, Seyyedah Zainab Al Sadat (2018). Investigating the factors of motivation, motivation and effectiveness of the elites and their transformational role from the perspective of the Qur'an, Islamic University Culture Quarterly, 32, 380-363.(in Persian)
- Choi, Y.(2020), "A study of the influence of workplace ostracism on employees' performance: moderating effect of perceived organizational support", European Journal of Management and Business Economics, Vol. 29 No. 3, pp. 333-345. https://doi.org/10.1108/EJMBE-09-2019-0159
- Chris Wells, Lewis A. Friedland, Ceri Hughes, Dhavan V. Shah, Jiyoun Suk, Michael W. Wagner (2021). News Media Use, Talk Networks, and Anti-Elitism across Geographic Location: Evidence from Wisconsin, The international journal of press / politics, 26(2), 182-199.
- Colleen George,. Maureen G. Reed (2017). Revealing inadvertent elitism in stakeholder models of environmental governance: assessing procedural justice in sustainability organizations, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management , 60(1), 158-177.
- De Clercq, D., Ul Haq, I., & Azeem, M. U. (2019). Workplace ostracism and job performance: roles of self-efficacy and job level. Personnel Review, 48(1), 184-203.
- Dewan, Niamul Karim,. Abdul Halim Abdul,. Majid Khatijah Omar,. Omar Jaber Aburumman(2021). The mediating effect of interpersonal distrust on the relationship between perceived organizational politics and workplace ostracism in higher education institutions, heliyon, 7(6), 728-739.
- Doğan Gürpinar(2013). The Reinvention of Kemalism: Between Elitism, Anti-Elitism and Anti-Intellectualism, Middle Eastern Studies, 49(3), 45-61.
- Frič, Pavol; Gyárfášová, Oľga. Politické Vedy (2019). The Politics Of Emotions: Anti-elitism and Anti-corruptism as Traits Of Czech and Slovak Populist Parties, Bratislava4, 221-246.
- Ghaffari, R. Rostamnia, Y. (2016). Organizational inertia and social laziness; The dysfunctions of bureaucratic organizational culture, Public Administration Quarterly, 9(2), 332-307(in Persian).
- Hanifi, Parlar,. Ramazan, Cansoy(2017). The effect of bureaucratic school structure on teacher leadership culture: Amixed study, Journal of Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice, 17(6), 430-443.
- Hendryadi,. Suratna, Suryani,. Budi Purwanto,. Mahmudul Alam(2019). Bureaucratic culture, empowering leadership, affective commitment, and knowledge sharing behavior in Indonesian government public services, Cogent Business & Management, 6(1), 15-27.
- Jonathan J.B. Mijs,Mike Savage(2020). Meritocracy, Elitism and Inequality, the journal of political quarterly, 91(2), 397-404.
- Kamila, Lewandowska(2018). Are polish theatres autonomous? Artistic institutions in a bureaucratic system of culture funding, policy studies, 39(1), 1-18.
- Kavitha, Haldorai,. Woo, GonKim,. Jun (Justin). Li(2022). I’m broken inside but smiling outside: When does workplace ostracism promote pro-social behavior?, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 101, 133-145.
- Kawon Kim, Melissa A. Baker(2022). Luxury Branding in the Hospitality Industry: The Impact of Employee’s Luxury Appearance and Elitism Attitude, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly. 63(1):5-18. doi:1177/19389655211022660
- Ken Kamoche, Flora SM Leigh(2022). Talent management, identity construction and the burden of elitism: The case of management trainees in Hong Kong. Human Relations.75(5):817-841. doi:1177/0018726721996778.
- Lea Hartwich,Julia C. Becker(2019). Exposure to Neoliberalism Increases Resentment of the Elite via Feelings of Anomie and Negative Psychological Reactions, The Social Psychology of Neoliberalism, 75(1), 113-133.
- Liu, H. L., & Xia, H. S. (2016). Workplace ostracism: A review and directions for future research. Journal of Human Resource & Sustainability Studies, 4(3), 197-201.
- Mesbahi, M. (2017). Clarifying the role of organizational pessimism in influencing employees' self-isolation and work desire, Quarterly Journal of Management Studies, Improvement and Transformation, 90, 114-89(in Persian).
- Mesbahi, Maryam (2017). Clarifying the role of organizational pessimism in influencing employees' self-isolation and work desire, Quarterly Journal of Management Studies, Improvement and Transformation, 90, 114-89. (in Persian)
- Michael Vaughan,Annett Heft(2022). Anti-elitism in the European Radical Right in Comparative Perspective, journal of common market studies, 13(4), 1-19.
- Moazzam,Ali,. Muhammad, Usman,. Nhat, TanPham,. PeterAgyemang-Mintah Naeem,Akhtar(2020).Being ignored at work: Understanding how and when spiritual leadership curbs workplace ostracism in the hospitality industry, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 91, 191-202.
- Molly N. N. Lee(2018). Corporatization of a Public University: From Collegial Culture to Bureaucratic and Corporate Culture, Higher Education Governance in East Asia, 23, 201–220.
- Mousavi, S.N. Arefnejad, M. Fathi Chegini, F. Sepahvand, M. (2019). Analysis of the effect of bureaucratic culture on the invisibility of employees with the mediating role of passive leadership (case study: government organizations of Lorestan province), Organizational Culture Management Quarterly, 18(2), 273-296(in Persian).
- Okay, K.Y. (2018). Workplace ostracism and cyber loafing: A moderated– mediation model. Internet Research, 28(4), 1122-41.
- Sahoo, B.C., Sia, S.K., Mishra, L.K.and Wilson, M.J.A. (2022), "Workplace ostracism and organizational change cynicism: moderating role of emotional intelligence", Journal of Asia Business Studies,18, 89-101. https://doi.org/10.1108/JABS-12-2021-0499
- Sajdi, Akbar; Seyed Mousavi, Mirsjad; Nemati, Javad (2019). the role of elites in societies; Emphasizing the role of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) in the formation of Islamic civilization, Quarterly Journal of Applied Studies in Social Sciences and Sociology, 3(10), 1-10. (in Persian)
- Sajedi, A. Seyed Mousavi, Mi. Nemati, J. (2019). the role of elites in societies; Emphasizing the role of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) in the formation of Islamic civilization, Quarterly Journal of Applied Studies in Social Sciences and Sociology, 3(10), 1-10(in Persian).
- Sepahvand, R. Arefnejad, M. Fathi Chegini, F. Sephovand, M. (2019). The effect of passive leadership on employee cyberloafing with the mediating role of work isolation (case study: General Department of Sports and Youth of Lorestan Province), Sports Management Studies Quarterly, 12(61), 17-32(in Persian).
- Sepahvand, R. Saedi, A. Shariatnejad, A. (2018). Analysis of the effect of bureaucratic culture on organizational laziness with the mediating role of organizational cynicism, Organizational Culture Management Quarterly, 17(4), 567-549(in Persian).
- Sephovand, Reza; Arefnejad, Mohsen; Fathi Chegini, Fariborz; Sephovand, Masoud (2019). The effect of passive leadership on employee cyberloafing with the mediating role of work isolation (case study: General Department of Sports and Youth of Lorestan Province), Sports Management Studies Quarterly, 12(61), 17-32. (in Persian)
- Sephovand, Reza; Saedi, Abdullah; Shariatnejad, Ali (2018). Analysis of the effect of bureaucratic culture on organizational laziness with the mediating role of organizational cynicism, Organizational Culture Management Quarterly, 17(4), 567-549. (in Persian)
- Yi, Xiang, Yuren, Zhou,. Hailin, Liu(2015). An elitism based multi-objective artificial bee colony algorithm, European Journal of Operational Research, 245 (1), 168-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2015.03.005.
- Zafarullah, Habib(2013). Bureaucratic Culture and the Social-Political Connection: The Bangladesh Example, International Journal of Public Administration, 36(13), 932-939.
- Zhao, H., & Xia, Q. (2017). An examination of the curvilinear relationship between workplace ostracism and knowledge hoarding. Management Decision, 55(2), 331-