Ph.D. Candidate, Human Resource Management, Public Administration Department, Faculty of Management and Accounting, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran.
Professor, Shahid Beheshti University, Faculty of Management and Accounting - Public Administration, Human Resource Management
Professor, Public Administration Department, Faculty of Management and Accounting, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran.
Document Type : Based on PhD Thesis
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to test the relationship between human resource management functions and organizational resilience in some Lebanese organizations. The hypotheses are to see the impact of two human resource management functions (training& development; recruitment &selection), on two organizational resilience dimensions (agility & robustness).
Design/ methodology/ approach: The exploratory research design was adopted for this study. Quantitative method used to test the relationship. Questionnaire based on 5-point Lickert scale was used to collect data. One hundred fifty respondents completed the survey. Inferential statistical tools such as correlation and regression analysis were used in testing the stated research hypotheses.
Research Findings: Results showed that two human resource management functions (Training& Development; Recruitment &Selection) affect organizational resilience (Agility &Robustness).
Limitations & Consequences: Not all the organizations accept to apply this study. Some of them refused, we tried to send email for them to explain the importance of this study, but they refused.
Practical Consequences: Human resource managers can use this study to develop targets in their organizations and to support some organizational resilience dimensions. It allows human resource managers to make decisions related to organizational resilience.
Innovation or value of the Article: This research is among the rare studies that have tested the correlation between human resource management functions and organizations resilience dimensions. In addition to that, this study goes deeper in choosing two human resource management functions and two organizational resilience dimensions, studies before focus on individual resilience.
Paper Type: Research Article
- Accra Jaja, S. and Amah, E. (2014), “Mentoring and organizational resilience: a study of manufacturing companies in rivers state”, Journal of Business and Management, Vol. 16 No. 10, pp. 1-9.
- Aliji Okuwa, J., Nwuche, C.A. and Anyanwu, A.C.S. (2016), “Human capital development and organizational resilience in selected manufacturing firms in Rivers State”, International Journal of Novel Research in Humanity and Social Sciences, Vol. 3 No. 2, pp. 43-50.
- Barney, Y.B. & Arikan, A.M. (2001). “The resource-based view: Origins and implications”. In Handbook of strategic management, Hiff, M.A., Freman, R.E., Harrison, J.S., (eds). Blackwell Publishers Ltd., Oxford, U.K, pp. 124 – 188.
- Bhamra, R.; Dani, S.; Burnard, K. Resilience: The concept, a literature review and future directions. Int. J. Prod. Res. 2011, 49, 5375–5393.
- Bowen, D.E., & Ostroff, C. (2004). Underst&ing HRM-firm performance linkages: The role of “Strength” of the HRM system. Academy of Management Review, 29, 203-221. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/20159029
- Cantoni, F. and Giustiniano, L. (2015), “Building and reinforcing organizational resilience through international mobility: a multi-level framework”, available at: https://iris.luiss.it/retrieve/handle/ 11385/147260/4027/WOA_2015_submission_37-2%28mod%29.pdf (accessed October 9, 2017).
- Cooper, C.L., Liu, Y., Shlomo, Y. and Tarba (2014), “Resilience, HRM practices and impact on organizational performance and employee well-being”, The International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol. 25 No. 17, pp. 2466-2471.
- Crichton, M.T., Ramsay, C.G. and Kelly, T. (2009), “Enhancing organizational resilience through emergency planning: learnings from cross-sectoral lessons”, Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management, Vol. 17 No. 1, pp. 24-37.
- DeCenzo, D. A., & Stephen, P. (2010). Fundamentals of human resource management (10thed.). Wiley High Education.
- Dessler, G., & Al Ariss, A. (2012). Human resource management: Arab World Edition. Edinburgh: Pearson Education Limited.
- Dubey, R., Gunasekaran, A., Childe, S. J., Papadopoulos, T., Blome, C. & Luo, Z. (2017) Antecedents of resilient supply chains: an empirical study. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 66, pp. 8– 19.
- Duchek, S. (2014), “Growth in the face of crisis: the role of organizational resilience capabilities”, Academy of Management Meeting Proceedings, Vol. 2014 No. 1, pp. 861-866.
- Duchek, S. (2019), “Organizational resilience: a capability-based conceptualization”, Business Research.
- Duchek, S. (2020) Organizational resilience: a capability-based conceptualization. Business Research, 13, pp. 215– 246.
- Durach, C. F., Wieland, A. & Jose, A. D. M. (2015) Antecedents and dimensions of supply chain robustness: a systematic literature review. International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, 45, pp. 118– 137.
- Haimes, Y. Y. (2015) Risk Modeling, Assessment, and Management: Wiley.
- Hanna, I. and Sawalha, S. (2015), “Managing adversity: understanding some dimensions of organizational resilience”, Management Research Review, Vol. 38 No. 4, pp. 346-366.
- Holling, C.S. (1973), “Resilience and stability of ecological systems”, Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, Vol. 4 No. 1, pp. 1-23.
- IFC 2014. IFC and FransaBank Access to Financial Services in the Developing World’. A World Bank Group Report.
- Kantur, D. and Iseri-Say, A. (2015), “Measuring organizational resilience: a scale development”, Press academia, Vol. 4 No. 3, pp. 456-472.
- Magableh, E. (2015). ‘SMEs and Technical Support Institutions’. Development Bridge. Arab Planning Institute. Vol. 122.
- Powley, E.H. (2009), “Reclaiming resilience and safety: resilience activation in the critical period of crisis”, Human Relations, Vol. 62 No. 9, pp. 1289-1326.
- IFC 2014. IFC and Fransabank Supporting Job Creation in Lebanon: Case Study.
- Rop, W. & Sang, H. W. (2019). Effect of unethical recruitment and selection practices on organizational sustainability : A Case Study of Selected Organizations in Kericho and Nakuru County , Kenya. International Journal of Mathematics and Statistics Invention, 7(1), 83–90.
- Sheehan, C., & Cooper, B. K., (2011). HRM outsourcing: the impact of organizational size & HRM strategic involvement. Personnel Review, 40(6), 742-760.
- Sheffi, Y. (2005), “Building a resilient supply chain”, Harvard Business Review, Vol. 1 No. 8, pp. 1-4.
- Sull, D. (2009). “How to thrive in turbulent market”, Harvard Business Review (87)2, pp. 78- 88.
- Ulrich, D. (1997). Resource Champions. Boston: Harvard University Press.
- Williams, T.A., Gruber, D.A., Sutcliffe, K.M., Shepherd, D.A. and Zhao, E.Y. (2017), “Organizational response to adversity: fusing crisis management and resilience research streams”, Academy of Management Annals, Vol. 11 No. 2, pp. 733-769.
- Zhou, Y., Sheu, J. B. & Wang, J. (2017) Robustness assessment of urban road network with consideration of multiple hazard events. Risk Analysis: An International Journal, 37, pp. 1477– 1494.